There is large variations in the physical demands required to compete in different sports. The event duration can vary greatly, from the explosive single action of the shot put, to ultra endurance events lasting many days.
The primary energy systems required can also vary, ranging from the highly aerobic marathon, to the anaerobic 100m sprint, and the multitude of team sports which require a combination of the energy systems.
Fitness Testing for Sports
- Alpine Skiing
- Athletics (T & F)
- American Football
- Aussie Rules
- Bobsled and Skeleton
- Field Hockey
- Football / Soccer
- Horse Racing / Jockeys
- Ice Hockey
- Martial Arts
- Rugby League
- Rugby Union
- Tenpin Bowling
- Water Polo
In line with the variations in the demands of the sports, the fitness tests that are implemented should reflect these differences. Also, when attempting to interpret fitness testing results, it is important to have an idea of what is the relative importance of the specific fitness components.
More information about fitness testing can be found in the Guide to Fitness Testing.
- Anthropometry for Specific Sports — anthropometric measurements and tests for a range of sports.
- Comparing fitness testing for Sports Combines
- About the sport specific SPARQ rating system
- About the sport specific eTID Program for Talent Identification.
- Which are the Fittest Sports?
- Who is the World's Greatest Athlete?
- Testing Umpires and Referees
- About Skill Testing
Sport Specific Tests
- AFL — Running Vertical Jump, Reaction Time, Sprint Recovery Test, Agility.
- Boxing — Quick Strike, Punching Speed and Punching Power.
- Baseball — Sprint test from home to first base.
- Basketball — Lane Agility, Sprint 3/4 Court, Max Touch, reactive shuttle.
- Cricket — Run-a-Three, 17.68 Sprint.
- Cycling — 40 m cycle sprint, 2km time trial, cycling VO2max.
- Ice Hockey — Shuttle Cross Pickup, on-ice beep test.
- Rowing — Rowing Beep Test, 500m Rowing Ergometer Test, 2km Rowing Ergo Test, 5K Rowing Ergo.
- Rugby Union — J.A.M. intermittent test, Bronco Test
- Football / Soccer — Loughborough Intermittent Shuttle Test, Yo-Yo Intermittent Tests, Balsom Agility, FIFA Interval Test 1 and Test 2, FIFA CODA Test, FIT Interval Test, ARIET, Footeval, Futsal Intermittent Endurance Test. See more about the soccer specific tests.
- Swimming — Swimming Beep Test, Swimming Step Test, Critical Swim Speed, Swimming Beep (Williams), SWOLF, VO2max Swimming Test, Swimming 12-minute test.
- Water Polo — Vertical Jump in the water, Shuttle Swim Test and the Intermittent Shuttle Test.
- Triathlon — 1 km swim, 100m Swim.
- Skiing (Alpine) — Hexagonal Obstacle
- Sports Referees & Umpires — about fitness tests for the specific demands of sports officials.
- Fitness tests using cycling, swimming exercise modes
- Fitness Testing for specific groups
- Sporting Combines calendar