The Punching Power Test has been used as is part of the SPARQ rating system for Boxers, and their protocol is listed here. This test was used in the 3rd season of the Contender TV series in the US to assess the fitness of the boxers. See also a description of how to measure punching speed. Note: we do not sell this equipment or provide testing of punching power.
purpose: to measure maximal punching power.
equipment required: instrumented 100-pound heavy punching bag (see comment below), boxing gloves.
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender and test conditions. Perform a standard warm-up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: A specially instrumented punching bag that can record the force of a hit is used. The athlete is allowed six maximal punches against the bag, and the peak and average punching power is recorded.
scoring: The apparatus used by SPARQ measures peak and average punch power. Unit: Force/Surface Area -> psi (pounds per square inch)?
target population: boxing and other combat and hitting sports.
reference: this article may be useful for anyone looking for more information:
- Smith, M.S. et al. “Development of a boxing dynamometer and its punch force discrimination efficacy” Journal of Sports Sciences 18.6 (2000): 445.
- A punching bag that measures punch power is difficult to find. A company called Adepta Sport Technologies once produced the "power pad" range of products that had a sensor embedded that was able to measure the PSI of your strike. The company does not seem to be around anymore. A new company (strike-research.org) producing a useful power/impact system StrikeMate, is worth checking out. If you have specific needs you may have to get one something custom built.
- The SPARQ rating system for boxing
- See a video of the SPARQ Boxing Test which includes this test.
- About measuring punching speed
- About the SPARQ rating system
- See the list of anaerobic fitness tests
- fitness testing for boxing