1-km Swim Test
This is an aerobic swimming fitness test, timing the swimmer over one kilometer. The 1 km Swim Test was part of the eTID Talent Identification Testing Program for the sport of triathlon, and their protocol is listed here.
purpose: This test measures aerobic fitness and swimming ability.
equipment required: standard 50 meter swimming pool is preferred, stopwatch
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: The aim of this test is to swim 1 km in the fastest time possible. Any swim stroke and turn may be used, but freestyle is preferable and expected to maximize speed. Swimmers begin the test in the water at one end of the pool. On the command ‘ready, start’ the clock will start, and the participant will begin swimming at their own pace. Stop the stopwatch when the participant's hand touches the wall at the completion of the 1km.
scoring: The total time to complete the distance is recorded, to the nearest second. If a pool other than a standard 50 swimming pool is used, the actual length should be recorded with the results.
comments: A maximum of three swimmers per lane is permitted (try to space them 15 seconds apart at the start), and no drafting off other swimmers is allowed.
The Test in Action
- The 1 km Swim Test was part of the eTID Talent Identification Testing Program.
- Swim 12-minute test — swim for maximum distance in 12 minutes
- Swimming Beep Test — conducted in a 25m pool, starting at a speed of 1 m/sec and increasing by 0.05 m/sec every two minutes
- 500yd / 450m Swim Test — part of the PRT, swim 500 yards as fast as you can.
- About the eTID Talent Identification Testing Program.
- ETID Fitness Testing for Triathlon
- About swimming endurance tests
- List of Fitness Tests involving Swimming
- List of Fitness Tests for Swimmers
- Fitness Testing protocols for swimmers
- Other aerobic tests
- All fitness test list