Running speed is very important for basketball players, particularly running up and down the court. The test involves running a maximum sprint over 3/4 of a basketball court (75 feet or 22.86 meters).
purpose: The aim of this test is to determine running speed over 3/4 court distance (75 feet, 22.86 meters).
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. Measure and mark out the test area. Perform an appropriate warm up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
test set-up: Place two cones / timing gates at the baseline and free-throw lane lines, and two cones at the elbows of the opposite free-throw line (see diagram).
procedure: A thorough warm up should be given, including some practice starts and accelerations (see warming up for sprint testing). Start from a stationary position behind the court baseline, with one foot up to the line (a two-point stance). The tester should provide hints to maximizing speed and encouragement to continue running hard past the finish markers. If using hand timing, the stopwatch should be started with the first movement.
results: Two trials are allowed, and the best time is recorded to the nearest two decimal places.
target population: basketball players
reliability: Timing reliability is greatly improved if timing gates are used.
- Not all courts are the same length. Measure the court distance to confirm that the 3/4 distance is equal to 75 feet.
- For safety, you may wish to place crash pads against the wall at the far end of the court.
The Test in Action
- More about fitness testing for basketball
- See more about the Basketball SPARQ testing and at the NBA combine.
- General information about Sprint or Speed Testing
- Training for Speed
- Warming up for sprint testing
- Other anaerobic tests and about anaerobic testing
- All about timing gates
- Sprint Test Results
- World Records for Speed tests
- Speed workouts