Who is the World's Greatest Athlete?
Which athlete is the world's greatest? It's a question that is often asked, is a difficult question to answer, and probably has never been satisfactorily answered.
First of all, what is the definition of 'greatest'? To excel in their sport, an athlete must have exceptional skills and fitness for that sport. However, world-class athletes mostly excel at single tasks, such as having exceptional endurance or strength. The greatest athlete should be more rounded, and have skills to excel in a variety of sporting situations.
Below are links to further pages which discuss a variety of topics such as which factors play a part in greatness, how to measure greatness, examples of testing for greatness, and lists of possible 'greatest athletes of the world'.
Lists of Greatest Athletes
- Successful Multi-Sport Athletes — The World's Greatest Athlete should be a sports person who is so great that they would excel in any sport they chose to do. Are these the world's greatest athletes?
- Some of the Greatest Athletes — some top athlete lists and other suggestions of who may fit the title and where you may find them.
- Vote for the Greatest Athlete of All Time — Help to create a list of the greatest athlete of all time by determining the greatest athlete from all the major sports, then from this list decide on the greatest of the greatest.
- Lists of Fittest Athletes — compilations of fit guys.
Factors of Greatness
- Sports Athleticism — athleticism encompasses all the attributes that make up a successful sports person. Here is a list of factors as determined by ESPN that are important for sports. In addition to the standard components of fitness, this list also has the capacities of nerve (a fear factor), durability (ability to constantly withstand physical punishment) and analytic aptitude (ability to evaluate and react to strategic situations).
- Factors of Success — our list of the top 15 important individual factors to that are factors of success in sports.
- Psychological Factors of Success — the psychological and mental components that contribute to successful performance in sports.
Measurements of Greatness
- Assessing Greatness — a discussion on how to test for greatness.
- World Record Holders — records in the world of sports and physical challenges.
- Fitness Test Records — top scores in a range of fitness tests.
- the World's Fittest Athletes — being the fittest may not be the greatest, but it goes a long way.
- Which Factors Make A Successful Sports Person? — online poll
Examples of Testing for Greatness
- TV Shows — There have been several TV shows around the world that have tried to answer the question of the greatest athlete and fittest sport.
- Head 2 Head — in this section of the site two great athletes in the world of sport are pitted against each other to determine who is the greatest.
- Which Sports have the Fittest Athletes? — a discussion of fitness for specific sports, and results of challenges between sports for the fittest athletes.
- Most Demanding Sports — the ESPN full list of the top ranked most demanding sports.
- Your World's Fittest Sport — your ratings for the fittest sports.
- My World's Fittest Sport — my ratings for the fittest sports.
- POLL: What do you think is the world's fittest sport?