Fitness Tests for Referees and Umpires
Many of the tests described on this site are designed for testing the fitness of sports participants, though there are some tests targeted to specific groups. Sports referees, umpires and sports officials can be considered part of the sports, though the physical demands compared to the athletes can in some cases be greater or much less (e.g. tennis umpires). In many instances, referees need specific tests that are targeted to their particular physical demands. See also Testing Protocols for Sports Officials.
There have been a few tests specifically designed to test umpires and referees:
- FIFA Interval Test 1 — a test of repeat sprinting ability designed for testing soccer referees. The test involves 6 x 40m sprints with a short recovery.
- FIFA Interval Test 2 — this test evaluates the ability to repeatedly perform 150m intervals over a prolonged period of time.
- FIFA Change of Direction Ability (CODA) — a test involving forwards and sideways running over 8-10 meters.
- Assistant Referee Intermittent Endurance Test (ARIET) — an intermittent yo-yo type test involving forwards and sideways running created specifically for football (soccer) assistant referees.
- Dynamic Yo-Yo Test — a modified yo-yo test designed specifically for football (soccer) referees
- Referee Beep Test — a modified version of the standard 20m beep test adapted for the specific demands of Rugby League referees. The testing protocol for Queensland Rugby League referees also includes the T-Test for agility and 50m sprint with a split time at 10m.
- J.A.M. Intermittent Test — This involves walking, jogging and running intervals. It was specifically developed to assess the fitness of Rugby Union Referees, but is also suitable for other team sports.
Many of the other fitness tests on this site would be suitable for testing umpires and referees. See the full list of all the fitness tests.
- Fitness Tests for NFL Officials, and other Testing Protocols for Sports Officials
- Nutrition for Field Officials, Referees and Umpires
- There is also a full list of all the fitness tests on this site that you can browse.