Sports of the Olympic Games
At the first Olympic Games in 1896, there were nine sports contested. Since that time many sports have been added (and removed too) from the program. Only five sports have been contested at every summer Olympic Games since 1896: Athletics, Cycling, Fencing, Gymnastics and Swimming.
In 2012 there were 26 sports contested, increasing to 28 in 2016, and 33 in 2020. The next Olympic Games in Paris 2024 are expected to have 32 sports with the debut of breakdancing, while karate, baseball & softball are dropped from the program.
See also the pages about the number of sports at each Olympiad, and also the changes over time. In addition to the official sports on the program, there are other recognized sports that are set for possible inclusion in the future.
2024 Summer Olympic Sports
(follow the links for more info about each sport)
- basketball (including 3x3 basketball)
- beach volleyball
- canoe / kayak
- cycling (track, road, mountain, BMX)
- equestrian (dressage, jumping and eventing)
- field hockey
- modern pentathlon
- open water swimming
- roller sport (skateboarding)
- rugby 7s
- sailing (including windsurfing)
- soccer / football
- synchronized swimming
- table tennis
- track and field
- volleyball (indoor)
- water polo
Recently Added Sports & Events
2028 Olympic Sports
Boxing, weightlifting and modern pentathlon have been left off the original list of sports for the LA 2028 Olympics, subject to achieving certain criteria.
Recently Removed Sports
Possible New Sports
As well as those listed below, there are many other possible new sports for future Games.
Previous Olympic Sports
(these are just some of the sports that have once been part of the Olympic program. More can be found on Discontinued Olympic Sports)
- motor boating
- plunge for distance
- underwater swimming
- obstacle race for swimming
- jeu de paume
- Future Olympic Games sports
- List of sports for each Olympiad
- Olympic Sports involving animals
- About the number of sports at each Olympiad, and also the changes over time.
- What the the most popular Olympic sports?
- How sports are selected for the Olympics
- POLL: Which of these sports should be next included in the Games? plus other Olympic Games Polls