The first Olympic Games had just nine sports, and since then there have been regular changes in the number and types of sports on the program. There are currently 33 sports on the Olympic program (see Tokyo sports list) and many other sports recognized by the IOC but not currently on the program.
There is a core of five sports that have been on every Olympic program, Athletics, Cycling, Fencing, Gymnastics and Swimming, while others have come and gone, and sometimes come back again (see discontinued Olympic sports).
Below are links to lists of the sports on the program for each Olympiad. This data has also been presented as the number of sports for each Olympic Games and changes each Olympiad. See also the lists of Olympic demonstration sports.
Year: 2024, 2020, 2016, 2012, 2008, 2004, 2000, 1996, 1992, 1988, 1984, 1980, 1976, 1972, 1968, 1964, 1960, 1956, 1952, 1948, 1936, 1932, 1928, 1924, 1920, 1912, 1908, 1904, 1900, 1896.
- Number of sports at each Olympiad
- The changes to the sports program for each Olympiad
- Number of Olympic medals available to be won
- List of Recognized Olympic Sports
- About Discontinued Olympic Sports.
- How sports are selected for the Olympics