eSports at the Olympics
eSports, the name for competitive online gaming, is a fast growing pastime, and although many people question its legitimacy as a sport, there is a lot of talk about including it on the Olympic Games sporting program sometime in the future.
Around the time of the 2016, 2018 and 2021 Olympic Games, there were esports demonstration events. Esports have already made it onto the official program of other multi-sport events, such as the 2022 Asian Games.
Although the IOC has confirmed that they are not considering esports as a possible new addition for the 2024 Games in France, there may be some form of online gaming integration with current sports. For example, in 2018, the first eSailing world championships was held, in which competitors from around the world raced virtual boats. This type of competition may be held in conjunction with the Olympic sailing events.
- eSports was a demonstration sport at the Rio Olympics.
- eSports was a demonstration sport at the 2018 Asian Games, and will be a medal event at the 2022 Games
- eSports demonstration events at the Olympics.
- Should eSports Games Be Realistic? Some esports games very realistic, you feel like you are actually playing the sport, but not everyone wants it that way.
- About the egames tournament, held at Rio 2016
- All about esports
- Major international esports tournaments
- Do you think esports be added to the Olympic Games program [poll]
- POLL: Which sport should be next included in the Olympic Games?
- List of Olympic Sports
- About the sport of eSports