28 sports were listed on the LA 2028 initial sports program announced by the IOC in February 2022: aquatics, archery, athletics, badminton, basketball, canoeing, cycling, equestrian, fencing, football, golf, gymnastics, handball, hockey, judo, rowing, rugby sevens, sailing, shooting, skateboarding, sport climbing, surfing, table tennis, taekwondo, tennis, triathlon, volleyball and wrestling.
Another five sports were proposed by the LA28 Organising Committee for inclusion at the Olympic Games in Los Angeles in 2028, and approved by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in October 2023. They are baseball-softball, cricket, flag football (a limited-contact version of American football), lacrosse, and squash.
Boxing did not feature on the initial list but the IOC have promised it will be added, while modern pentathlon and weightlifting were also recently confirmed.
If all these sports are included on the final prograsm, there will be 36 sports in total. Compared this list to the 2024 Paris Olympic sports, in wehich there are 32 sports.
List of Sports for LA 2028 (TBC)
- Aquatics (including swimming, diving, open-water, synchronized swimming, and water polo)
- Baseball and Softball
- Canoe / Kayak
- Cycling — including Track, Road, Mountain Bike and BMX
- Flag Football
- Football (soccer)
- Gymnastics (Artistic, Rhythmic and Trampolining)
- Modern Pentathlon
- Rugby 7s
- Skateboarding — men and women's street and park skateboarding events
- Sport Climbing — bouldering, lead and speed combined climbing
- Surfing — men's and women's shortboard surfing
- Table Tennis
- Track & Field
- Volleyball — indoor and beach volleyball
- Wrestling (Greco-Roman and Freestyle)
- List of sports for each Olympiad
- Changes to sports for each Olympiad
- Number of Olympic medals available to be won
- How sports are selected for the Olympics
- About the LA 2024 Olympic Games
- Complete list of Olympic host cities