These are the 'golden shoe' or 'golden boot' winners from each World Cup event. The record for the most goals at a single World Cup is 13 by Frenchman Just Fontaine in 1958, which he achieved in six games. The overall top goal scorer in the World Cup is German player Miroslav Klose, who has scored 16 goals overall. See the list of World Cup Top Goal Scorers.
The current rules for a tie-breaker, is that if there is a tie for the most number of goals in the tournament, the award goes to the player who has given the most assists (as decided by the FIFA Technical Study Group). If there is still more than one player, the tie-breaker goes to the player who has played the least amount of time. Goals scored from penalty shoot-outs are not counted.
There is more Goal Scoring Trivia. Are you looking for the list of top goal scorers from Qatar 2022?
|Year||Top Scorer(s)||Country||Matches Played||Goals Scored|
|1982||Paolo Rossi||Italy *||7||6|
|1978||Mario Kempes||Argentina *||7||6|
|1970||Gerd Muller||West Germany||6||10|
|1938||Leonidas da Silva||Brazil||4||8|
|1934||Angelo Schiavio||Italy *||4||4|
* Champion country
- Top goal scorers from Brazil 2014, Russia 2018, Qatar 2022
- South Africa 2010 goal scorers list.
- Complete Germany 2006 goal scorers list.
- List of World Cup Top Goal Scorers (total goals)
- List of the Fastest Goal Scorers at the World Cup
- Youngest Goal Scorers at the World Cup
- Other FIFA World Cup awards
- World Cup Records
- Goal Scoring Trivia
- World Cup Golden Ball Winners (best player) and Golden Glove Winners (best goalkeepers)
- European Golden Boot — for the leading football (soccer) goalscorer from the top division of the European national leagues.