Soccer Major Events
There are many events in the international calendar for football (soccer), and also significant events in national and regional football competitions. The major tournament is the FIFA World Cup, but there are many more, for men and women.
Major Football Events - held every 4 years
- FIFA World Cup — the biggest single sport international sporting event.
- FIFA Women's World Cup — the most important competition in international football for women. Held a year after the men's version.
- Olympic Games Football — mens and women's tournament. The men's teams are restricted to players under-23 (+ three over-age players), and no age restrictions for the women's teams.
- UEFA Euro — competition between the senior men’s national teams of members of the Union of European Football Association (UEFA), to determine the continental champion.
- Asian Football Cup — Asian Football Confederation (AFC) competition, the winner plays in the FIFA Confederations Cup.
- Copa América — a men's football tournament between national teams from the South American Football Confederation.
- FIFA Confederations Cup — an international men's football tournament with eight national teams, the holders of each of the FIFA confederation championships together with the FIFA World Cup holder and the host nation (NO LONGER HELD)
Major Football Events - Biennial
- African Cup of Nations — main international association football (soccer) competition in Africa, held every two years.
- UEFA Nations League — a newly-founded competition with 55 European national teams competing in four leagues.
Major Football Events - Annual
- FIFA Club World Cup — an international men's association football competition involving seven teams; the champion club team from each confederation along with the host nation's national champions.
- UEFA Champions League — annual football cup competition for the top football clubs in Europe.
- UEFA Europa League — annual football cup competition for the top football clubs in Europe (2nd tier).
- UEFA Super Cup — annual football match between the winners of the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League.
- FA Cup Final — the last match of the Football Association Challenge Cup between teams belonging to the Football Association in England.
- European Super League — The Super League is a new annual European competition between 20 top clubs comprised of 15 founders and five annual qualifiers. (did not go ahead)
- World Football Calendar — all the major events in the coming years
- See also, my Home of Soccer — information about the game of soccer (which is the same as football!).
- Read Profiles of champion football players.
- Read the World Cup entries on the sporting blog.
- Soccer clipart of players and balls.