Poland at the World Cup
The 2006 World Cup was Poland's seventh successful World Cup qualifying campaign. They failed to qualify in 2010 and 2014.
- In their début in 1938, the Poles were also eliminated early on, after a remarkable 6-5 loss to Brazil in which Ernst Wilimowski scored four times.
- Poland enjoyed far greater success in 1974, winning third place after a win against Brazil in Germany with a goal by Lato.
- In 1982, the Polish team matched their 1974 performance - in the semi-finals they came up against the on-form Italians, who clinched a spirited 2-0 victory. Poland went on to defeat France 3-2 and claim third place overall.
- The only player to score four goals in one match and still end up on the losing team was Poland's Ernst Willimowski against Brazil in 1938. Leonidas of Brazil also scored four goals in that match when his team won 6-5.
- List of all countries who have participated in the World Cup
- FIFA World Cup Home
- About Sport in Poland