Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima (born September 18, 1976) is a retired goal-scoring phenomenon from Brazil (not to be confused with Portuguese player Cristiano Ronaldo). He was only 16 when he was signed by Cruziero in 1993, making his professional debut against Caldense in the Minas Gerals State Championship.
Ronaldo became publicly recognized when he scored five goals in 1993 against Bahia. Experts and fans dub him as one of the greatest football players of all time. Other teams he played for were PSV (1994-1996), Barcelona (1996-19977), Inter Milan (1997-2002), Real Madrid (2002-2007), A.C. Milan (2007-2008) and Corinthians (2009-2011). He was also part of the Brazilian national team from 1994 to 2011.
Greatest Sporting Achievements
Ronaldo was one of the four men to win the FIFA World Player of the Year award thrice (or more) alongside Zinedine Zidane, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. He was named in the FIFA 100 list of the greatest living players by Pele, won the Ballon d’Or twice, three FIFA Player of the Year awards, two FIFA World Cups (with Brazil), All-Time World Cup finals scoring record 15, goal.com’s Player of the Decade and many more.
Why Was He So Good?
Ronaldo was a football player that had it all. He was brilliant in so many ways; he had beautiful goals, passes, strong as a bull but had front teeth of a seven year old kid. Though he only played the half of what he could because of his injuries, he still remained the best and gave his all. He won numerous championships with tortured legs and his career story is both interest and thrilling at the same time.
What You May Not Know
- Once married world female juggling champion Milene Domingues with whom he had a child Ronald.
- He became a United Nations Development Program Goodwill Ambassador in 2000. He believes that “no one should be doomed to a life of poverty, whether by birth or as a consequence of war”.
- Ronaldo supported a number of Israeli and Palestinian children’s charities and even conducted a tour of Israel and the West Bank.
- His injuries mostly consisted of leg and “weight” problems.
Was he a legend?
Do you agree with Ronaldo being a legend of football / soccer?
How would you rate their greatness? (from good to 'the best')
- Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or in 1997 and 2002
- More football players
- About Football (Soccer)
- Athlete Database home