Portugal at the World Cup
2018 will be Portugal's 7th appearance at the World Cup, adding to appearances in 1966, 1986 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014. Portugal's best performance at the World Cup to date is 3rd in 1966.
- The Portugese National Football team has the nickname: Selecção das Quinas.
- Portugal qualified for their first FIFA World Cup finals in 1966 and caused something of a stir on their debut appearance. Trailing 3-0 to Korea DPR in the quarter-finals, the Portuguese recovered to win 5-3, thanks in large part to four goals from Eusebio. In the semi-final Portugal fell 2-1 to the eventual world champions England. In the play-off for third place they beat the USSR by the same score. Eusebio was the top goal scorer of the tournament with nine goals to his name.
- In 1986 the Portuguese went home after the first round despite a win against England.
- In 2002, their third appearance, Portugal again were eliminated in the first round, after an unexpected 1-0 loss to Korea Republic in their final group game.
- List of all countries who have participated in the World Cup
- FIFA World Cup Home
- About Sport in Portugal