Here are all the 'W' sports from over 800 sports listed on our complete list of sports. A popular W sport is Wrestling, less popular are the water sports. We all know Water Polo, but have you heard of Water Basketball and Water Volleyball? I like the idea of Walking Football.
There were too many to describe on just one page, so here we have a short description of just the sports starting with the letter 'W'. Click the sport name for more information. If there is a sport missing or some information is incorrect, please make a comment below.
- Wakeboarding — riding a board and doing tricks on the wake behind a boat.
- Walking Football — a version of association football in which players are only allowed to walk during game play, developed for older people to keep fit.
- Walking Netball — a variation of netball, in which players can only walk, developed for older people to keep active.
- Wallball — a wall-based sport similar to squash in which a hi-bounce rubber ball is hit with the hand onto a wall after a single bounce.
- Wallyball — a variation of volleyball, that is played on a racquetball court enclosed with walls on all four sides.
- Washer Pitching — a target throwing game similar to horseshoes, in which players as a part of teams take turns to toss washers into a box or hole.
- Water Basketball — a mix of basketball and water polo played in a swimming pool with basketball goals.
- Water Polo — a team sport played in swimming pools, the aim is to pass the ball over the water and into the goal net.
- Water Skiing — riders are pulled along behind a boat skimming atop the water wearing one or two skis.
- Water Volleyball — a team sport derived from volleyball in which the games are played in water.
- Weightlifting — in Olympic Weightlifting competitors attempt to lift weights, mounted on barbells, above their head.
- Weight Throw — a family of heavy weight throwing events, in which the objective is to either throw the weight as far as possible or as high as possible.
- Western Pleasure — a horse show competition in which horses are evaluated for their manners and composure.
- Wheelchair Basketball — basically regular basketball played on a wheelchair.
- Wheelchair Curling — a variation of curling in which athletes with a disability affecting their lower limbs use a wheelchair to play the sport.
- Wheelchair Dancing — all of the participants of a team perform dance routines while riding in a wheelchair.
- Wheelchair Fencing — a version of Fencing in which disabled athletes fight with thin swords while sitting in wheelchairs that are tightly fastened to the floor.
- Wheelchair Racing — a type of racing in which athletes with physical disabilities compete with the help of a wheelchair.
- Wheelchair Rugby — a full-contact indoor team sport conducted for players with disabilities.
- Wheelchair Rugby League — a version of rugby league football but played using a wheelchair.
- Wheelchair Tennis — a version of lawn tennis for those who have lower body disabilities.
- Whitewater Slalom — a kayaking and canoeing sport in which athletes use a kayak or canoe to navigate through a course that consists of hanging gates on river rapids.
- Wiffleball — a variation of Baseball designed for indoor or outdoor play in confined areas, using a perforated, light-weight, rubbery plastic ball and a long, plastic yellow bat.
- Windsurfing — riding a modified surfboard manoeuvered using a sail on a movable mast.
- Wingsuit Flying — a type of skydiving, where a person will fly in the air using a special jumpsuit called the wingsuit.
- Winter Guard — an indoor sport of the color guard discipline in which teams perform several routines using supporting equipment to recorded background music.
- Winter Triathlon — athletes compete in running, mountain biking and cross-country skiing.
- Women's lacrosse — a limited-contact version of lacrosse.
- Woodball — a sport where a mallet is used to pass a ball through gates. This game can be played on grass, sand or indoor. See also Beach Woodball.
- Wood Chopping — participants attempt to cut or saw a log or other types of wood in the quickest time.
- Wrestling — a general term for a combat sport between two competitors involving grappling-type techniques. Popular forms include the Olympic styles of Greco-Roman and Freestyle. There are many regional forms of wrestling.
- Wushu — a full-contact sport derived from traditional Chinese martial arts.
- Alphabetical list of all sports