Water volleyball is a team sport derived from volleyball in which the games are played in water. The sport is played in the United States, Europe and South America. There is a very similar sport called Biribol developed in Brazil. This sport may also be called "pool volleyball" or "aquapolo".
Water volleyball is mostly played in swimming pools. The court used varies from 3 X 2m to 6 X 5m in dimensions. A net that runs across the width of the court divides it into two equal halves. Different types of balls are used for playing, but the most suitable is a beach ball which is at least 28cm in diameter.
The sport is played at both recreational and competitive level. For recreational play, a team can have for 1 to 4 players, but in competitions each team should have four players.
Similar to that of volleyball, each play starts with a serve, followed by back and forth returns, until one team scores a point. However, the game play and scoring system works similar to that of table-tennis, where each team alternately gets to serve twice regardless of who scores the point, and the team to first reach 11 is the winner of the set.
There are some variations in, court size, the number of players per team, and the total number of sets played in a match, depending on which country the game is being played at.
- Biribol — an aquatic version of volleyball developed in Brazil.
- Volleyball — a game for two teams of six players, in which a large ball is hit by hand over a high net, the aim being to score points by making the ball reach the ground on the opponent's side of the court.
- Water Basketball — a mix of basketball and water polo played in a swimming pool with basketball goals.
- Sitting Volleyball — a version of volleyball for disabled athletes played while sitting (also known as Paralympic volleyball).
- Beach Volleyball— A version of volleyball played on sand and with teams of two players, in which a ball is hit by hand over a high net, the aim being to score points by making the ball reach the ground on the opponent's side of the court.
- Water Polo — a team sport played in swimming pools, the aim is to pass the ball over the water and into the goal net.
- Discussion of Volleyball-Type Sports
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports