Kayaking is a range of sports using a kayak, which is a small, narrow boat propelled using a double-bladed paddle. The kayak probably originates from Greenland, where it was used by the Eskimos primarily for transport, hunting and fishing. The word "kayak", means “man-boat” in Eskimo.
Kayaking is different from canoeing by the sitting position of the paddler and the type of paddle. In kayak the blade is pulled through the water on alternate sides to propel the boat forward. Most kayaks have closed decks. Kayaking is more commonly a recreational activity than a competitive one.
Competitive kayaking can be done one flat stretches of water (sprint kayak), as well as slalom events in rapids (Canoe Slalom), in playspot which is standing waves (Playboating). Some other kayaking competitions that exists are river racing, freestyle kayaking, and extreme kayaking.
Kayaking has been part of the Summer Olympics since the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin.
Kayaking Sports and Activities
- Sprint Kayaking — sprint kayak racing on flat water over distances from 200m to 1000m.
- Canoe Slalom — is a kayaking (and canoeing) sport in which athletes use a kayak or canoe to navigate through a course that consists of hanging gates on river rapids.
- Extreme Canoe Slalom — a fast-paced kakayaking sport in which four athletes race each other on a whitewater course through up and downstream gates whilst also completing an eskimo roll.
- Surf Kayaking — involves surfing in the ocean using a kayak.
- Playboating — a whitewater sport in which athletes on kayaks (or canoes) perform various moves in a fixed place called the playspot.
- Snowboating — a winter sport in which athletes use a kayak to descend down a slope covered with snow (also called Snowkayaking)
- Kayak Football — participants in kayaks attempt to get a small soft football into the end zone.
- Canoe Polo — players in kayaks attempt to score by throwing or hitting a round ball through a goal suspended two meters above the water.
- Kayak Diving
- Kayak Fishing
- Canoeing — paddle sport in which the rider kneels or sits facing forward in a canoe.
- Kayaking is part of the Quadrathlon, an endurance sports event composed of the four individual disciplines of swimming, kayaking, cycling and running.
- Rafting — the objective is to navigate downstream on river rapids using an inflated raft.
- Rowing — a sport in which competitors propel a boat in the water using oars.
- About Paddling Sports
- Kayaking at the Summer Olympics
- Fitness For Kayaking
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports