Here are all the 'L' sports from over 800 sports listed on our complete list of sports. Popular L sports are Long Jump and Lacrosse, but our favorite is Letterboxing, a sport that combines orienteering, art, and puzzle solving.
There were too many to describe on just one page, so here we have a short description of just the sports starting with the letter 'L'. If there is a sport missing or some information is incorrect, please make a comment below.
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
- Lacrosse — a team game, originally played by North American Indians, in which the ball is thrown, caught, and carried with a long-handled stick with a piece of shallow netting at one end. Versions include Field Lacrosse, Box Lacrosse, Women's Lacrosse, Sixes Lacrosse.
- Lagori — from Southern India, this game involves a ball and a pile of flat stones. A member of one team throws a soft ball at a pile of stones to knock them over, then tries to restore the pile of stones while the opposing team throws the ball at them (also known as Lingocha).
- Land Sailing — racing in three-wheeled vehicles moving across land powered by wind through the use of a sail. Also known as sand yachting or land yachting.
- Land Speed Records — in various vehicle classes, competitors attempt to create the fastest time over a fixed distance. Two runs are required in opposite directions within one hour to set a new mark.
- Land Windsurfing — similar to traditional Windsurfing though performed on land rather than water, using a four-wheeled deck to travel across the surface. Also known as "Terrasailing", "street sailing", "land sailing" and "dirt windsurfing".
- Lapta — a Russian traditional bat and ball game. The aim of the game is to hit a ball, served by a player of the opposite team, with a bat as far as possible, then run across the field, and if possible back again.
- Laser Run — four legs of laser pistol shooting followed by an 800m run.
- Laser Tag — a skirmish sport in which players attempt to score points by tagging targets, typically with a hand-held infrared-emitting targeting device.
- Lawn Bowls — the objective is to roll biased balls so that they stop close to a smaller ball called a "jack" or "kitty".
- Lawn Mower Racing — motorsport where participants use race-modified lawn mowers.
- Lead Climbing — climbers attempt to get highest on challenging route on a vertical wall within a pre-determined timeframe.
- Legends Car Racing — a racing sport using identical spec vehicles, with bodyshells made of 5/8-scale replicas of American automobiles from the 1930s and 1940s and powered by a Yamaha motorcycle engine.
- Lelo Burti — a Georgian folk sport, a full-contact ball game very similar to rugby.
- Lethwei — an unarmed Burmese martial art similar to other kickboxing styles from the region.
- Letterboxing— an outdoor sport that combines orienteering, art, and puzzle solving. Small weatherproof boxes are hidden in publicly accessible places (like parks) and clues are distributed to find the box. Similar to GeoCaching.
- Log Rolling — two challengers attempt to stay on a floating log the longest.
- Longboarding — a skateboarding sport in which athletes use a longboard to compete in downhill races.
- Long Drive — golf competition in which players attempt to hit the ball the longest distance.
- Long Jump — a track and field event where the participant attempts to jump the longest into a sand pit. See also the similar Triple Jump.
- Long Track Motorcycle Speedway — a version of motorcycle speedway, but taking place on longer tracks at much higher speeds.
- Longue Paume — an outdoor version of the racket sport, jeu de paume, played without a net.
- Luge — a Winter Olympic sport in which competitors race down an ice track in a small one- or two-person sled lying supine (face up) and feet-first.
- Lumberjack — competitions involving many different events, including log rolling, chopping, timed hot (power) saw and bucksaw cutting, and pole climbing.
K Sports <--- Compete List ----> M Sports
- Alphabetical list of all sports