The number of sports for each Asian Games event has varied over time (see table of changes). There have also been many demonstration sports.
At the 2022 Asian Games in Hangzhou China, there will be 482 medal events. Officially there are 42 sports, but some of those, like aquatics, are actually several sports under one unbrella term (e.g. swimming, diving, water polo).
Below we have listed all the disciplines that are usualy considered an individual sport. After eSports was featured as a demonstration sport in 2018, it has been made a medal event for the 2022 Asian Games.
Sports for Hangzhou 2022
- Artistic Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- Water polo
- Mind Sports: eSports, Contract bridge, Chess, Go, Xiangqi
- Basketball 3-on-3
- Cricket (2010, 2014, 2023)
- Canoeing: Sprint, Slalom
- Traditional (Dragon) Boat Race
- Cycling: BMX race, Mountain bike, Road, Track
- Equestrian: Dressage, Eventing, Jumping
- Field hockey
- Gymnastics: Artistic, Rhythmic, Trampoline
- Modern pentathlon
- Inline speed skating
- Rugby sevens
- Sepak takraw
- Sport climbing
- Table tennis
- Soft tennis
- Beach volleyball
There are many sports that were once part of the Asian Games, but are no longer included on the program. Here are a few of them:
- Pencak silat
- Dancesort (2010 only)
- Jet ski
Some sports have also appeared as demonstration sports.
- List of the number of sports at the Asian Games
- Asian Games demonstration sports
- More about the Asian Games
- sports of the Olympic Games