Nutrition Articles by Clare Wood
Topend Sports' own dietitan Clare Wood has been writing articles for Topend Sports for many years, and now manages all of the nutrition content. Below is a list of the articles that Clare has contributed to this website.
Articles on Sports Nutrition
- The Sports Nutrition Pyramid — athlete nutrition is split into three levels
- Nutrition for Older Athletes
- Alcohol use within the sporting environment — facts and physiology for the athlete. Plus Alcohol Guidelines for Athletes.
- Nutritional Guidelines for Preparing for Fitness Testing
- Hydration and Heat Management for Cricket Training and Matches
- Building Muscle: Do You Need Supplements? — some important tips that will help you achieve your muscle mass gain goals in the most sensible way.
- Planning your pre-exercise meal — Pre-exercise meals are very important meals to consider as part of the athlete's preparation towards optimal performance.
- Travel Nutrition Guide — tips for athletes travelling away from home.
- Nutrition for the Off Season — a perfect time to keep in shape and put on or off a few pounds.
- An Athlete's Daily Food Plan — eating well takes planning along with some self-discipline.
- Athletes Shouldn't Go Hungry — the types of foods consumed that can have an impact on energy levels
- Pre-Game Diet — Here are some suggestions of what you can eat before exercise.
- What athletes should drink — a guide to hydration for sports people - there are a lot of choices out there.
- Protein for Runners — Should we be taking protein supplements while running?
- Milk for Rehydration and Recovery — using milk as a rehydration solution may also help to fulfill protein and carbohydrate needs of an athlete post exercise.
- Drinking strategies — how to maximize your fluid intake.
- Sweets for Recovery — are they any good for recovery after exercise.
- Post-Exercise Strategies to replace the lost fuels and aid recovery.
- Sports Drinks for Recreational Runners
- Eating to Bulk Up — A guide to eating to gain muscle weight.
- Traveling nutrition — Tips for eating right while traveling.
- Altitude Nutrition — Guide to following a good diet when traveling or training at altitude.
- High Carbohydrate Eating — Are you getting enough for your sport?
- Carbohydrate Loading — How and when to carbohydrate load.
- Sugar & Carbohydrate — What is best for Athletes.
- Nutrition for Field Officials — The energy demands of being a field official, referee or umpire varies as much as there are different sports to be involved in.
- Fluid and Fuel Considerations for a Fun Run
- Making Weight: Tips for making weight using nutritional strategies. Also, Nutrition for Jockeys
- Diet: Does it Matter? Nutrition for Young Rugby Players. A chapter in John Eales' Rugby Book, a practrical guide for young athletes.
- Sport specific nutrition: Basketball, Tennis, Aussie Rules; Tenpin Bowling, Football (Soccer), Badminton
- Field Hockey: Nutrition, Hydration, Supplements, Anthropometry, Body Composition, Height and Weight, Physiology.
- Nutritional Strategies for Marathon Runners — Clare's top-10 tips
- Nutrition for the Marathon of the Sands Ultra Marathon Event.
Articles on Supplements
- Amino Acid Supplements — are they necessary for athletes?
- Supplements & Immunity in Athletes
- Performance Enhancement with Beta Alanine Supplementation
- Leucine and Muscle Protein Synthesis — leucine is an important amino acid which can be used as a nutritional supplement for athletes.
- Hepcidin and The Management of the Athlete’s Iron Status
- Collagen Supplementation for Athletes — collagen supplementation has many uses, including some benefits for athletes such as reducing joint pain and enhancing exercise recovery.
- Practical Tips For Collagen Supplementation
- Vitamin D and Sports Performance
Articles on Healthy Nutrition
- Athletes and Immunity — the Role of Nutrition
- Food and Inflammation — certain foods can also help relieve inflammation.
- Vitamin D – deficiency and the effect on health
- Getting good food variety — Choosing the right foods.
- Food Label Reading 101 — to help wade through the information provided
- Slowing down the aging process — What you eat can affect how you feel and how you age
- Tips For Healthy Restaurant Eating — while traveling you may need to eat at restaurants.
- Food Safety — Foods and water can be a source of contamination and have the potential to make you sick if care is not taken.
- Caffeine — Is it good or bad for us?
- Lumen Handheld Metabolic Tracker — a review
Articles on Weight Loss
- Lose weight while doing nothing — Forget the unproved fad diets, this is an easy way of losing weight with science by understanding the role of your basal metabolic rate (BMR).
- What is a pedometer and how to use it.
- Reducing Fats and Oils in the Diet — Some guidelines on how you can reduce the amount of fat in your diet.
- What is your Healthy Weight — Calculate your ideal weight range
- Eating for weight loss — Simple strategies for changing the way you eat to lose weight.
Resources for Sports Dietitians
- An interview with Clare Wood - published the WA Government's Department of Sports and Recreation as part of their 'Ask an Expert' series. The interview covers areas of what and when you should eat before a game, plus a discussion of energy drinks and supplements for athletes.