Tips For Healthy Restaurant Eating
You often get a limited choice of options when eating out. This list of tips gives you some ideas of how you can make the most of what the restaurant has to offer and get a healthy meal away from home.
- Choose the restaurant carefully and early, don't wait until you are hungry before you decide where to eat
- Wait staff are there to assist - don't hesitate to ask for meal descriptions and to ask to modifications to what is listed.
- Choose foods for their nutritional value not for the taste appeal alone
- Be aware that most western restaurants are geared for high protein/high fat eating
- Increase the carbohydrates in the meal by asking for extra rolls, a larger serve of rice or pasta, or fruit juice to go with it.
- Avoid excess low-nutrient kilojoules/calories food such as soda, fries, garlic bread
- Ask for less cream or cheese content
- Avoid food that is high in fat or deep-fried
- Always have a bottle of water on the table
- Healthy Restaurant Guide – Good and Poor Menu Choices.
- Guide to Eating Out — how to make a good choice when getting take out.