The real aim of weight loss is to lose body fat. The way to lose excess body fat is to change your energy balance, so that daily energy expenditure exceeds daily energy intake. Expenditure can be in the form of training, or just your daily living activities, these need to be increased. Energy intake is the amount of Calories/Kilojoules from the food that you eat.
Slow weight loss is the only way to remove fat and to keep it off, as long as you are prepared to stick to some good eating habits.
Strategies for losing body fat
- Set a realistic goal, including short-term targets and a long term aim. Make sure it is achievable for you.
- Be sure to stick to low fat eating, reduced-fat foods, better cooking methods, cut out processed foods.
- Losing body fat is a long-term goal, half a kilogram a week is a good target, achievable with a small reduction in energy each day.
- Eat small frequent meals, this will save you from getting too hungry and overeating at meals, and allow pre and post activity snacks.
- Keep a food record for two weeks to face the truth about what really goes into your mouth. Look for improvements to improve the quantity and type of foods you eat.
- Eat a wide variety of foods to ensure you get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs, and to decrease boredom.
- Be aware of times that you eat because you are bored or upset.
- Other weight loss strategies