All About The Beep Test
The beep test is possibly the most commonly used endurance fitness test conducted around the world. It is so popular because it is simple to conduct, requires minimal and inexpensive equipment, and large groups can be tested at once. The test involves running back and forth between markers 20 meters apart, in time to audio "beeps" which get progressively faster.
The test goes by many names (shuttle run test, beep, bleep test (UK), yo-yo, PACER, Aero, multistage fitness test, MSFT), but is essentially the same whatever it is called.
As it is so popular, there is a lot of information about the test, including the many pages on this site. There is also a lot of research on the test, and data on results and interpretation. Below you will find links to a large range of information about the beep test.
Conducting the test
- Test Procedure — detailed instructions for conducting the beep test.
- Test Videos — video examples of the beep test being conducted.
- Beep Test Recording Sheet — download and print a recording sheet.
- Introduction — the verbal instrucitons to be given prior to the test
About the Test
- Beep Test Table — which has all the timings and speeds for the commonly used beep test
- Beep Shuttle Listing — comparison listing of the number of runs for each level of common versions of the test.
- Test Variations — history of the test and descriptions of some of the variations of the test.
- Modified Beep Tests — the beep test has been modified to suit different populations groups and different exercise modalities.
- Beep Test Alternatives — the beep test may not always be the best choice.
- Beep Test Tips — 10 tips to give you a boost to your beep test core.
- Maximizing Your Score — hints on how to get the most out of the beep test, and reach your true potential.
- Training for the beep test — reaching your targets.
- List of References — a selection of research papers relating to the 20m multistage fitness test
- Research Ideas — want to do some research? Here are some project ideas.
Other Things Beep
Scoring the Test
- Beep Test Norms — how did you go? See this table of ratings for all ages.
- Calculating Your Score — calculator to help determine your VO2max equivalent score from your beep test results.
- Beep Test Spreadsheet — a table for recording results, with functions to calculate and report results.
- Convert to Decimal Scores — to work out team averages you need the results in decimals.
- What's your best score? — a large database of results for athletes from a variety of sports.
- Beep Test Records — some of the best scores ever recorded.
- Test Standards — what level you need to reach for your work or sport.
- Beep Test Competitions — beep test challenges.
Beep Test Audio & Software
- Download for free the 20m beep test mp3 audio file, or buy the package of all our beep test files.
- Beep Test Spreadsheet — for entering, tracking and analyzing the data.
- About Purchasing the beep test cd — information on how and where you can purchase a beep test cd or mp3 digital download.
- Beep Test Software — provides the standard Multistage Fitness Test or Bleep Test right on your PC or Laptop, with many additional features.
- Beep test training files — 20 minutes at the speed of a range of levels.
- More Beep Test Products — all you need to set out, conduct and analyze your beep test.
- Beep FAQ — some common questions and answers about the beep test.
BEEP TEST PACKAGE - only $10
The 20m Beep Test (male & female voices) + Training Levels + 'Beeps Only' track + Excel Spreadsheet + eBook Guide (PARQ, consent form, test recording sheet, warm-up, tips, norms + much more!)
The ultimate beep test package, including two versions of the beep test audio file (male and female voice), an audio track with only the beeps (no voices), 8 audio tracks for training at specific test levels, an Excel spreadsheet with an offline calculator and tables for recording, analyzing and presenting results, a 12-page eBook beep test guide which includes a PARQ, informed consent form, and test recording sheet plus much more. All these files are available individually for $5 each, or even better get them all for $10. Check out the details.