The beep test is one of the most popular fitness tests used around the world to assess and monitor aerobic fitness. There are many things you can do to improve your beep test score, here are ten tips you can implement to give yourself a little bit extra next time you do the test.
- BE PREPARED: Make sure your body is in the best condition for a maximal exercise test. Rest the day before and get a good night's sleep, and eat a light meal about 1-2 hours before the test and make sure you are well hydrated.
- WARMUP: without a warm-up well you probably will not perform at your best also you could risk injury which could set back your fitness.
- PRACTICE: It's a good idea to practice the beep test 1 or 2 times before the administration of the test. The athletes will be more relaxed and more accustomed to pushing their limits, and with groups there will be less confusion on test day.
- BE POSITIVE: A more positive state of mind can help you push through the pain barrier and reach a higher level.
- BE EFFICIENT: Using efficient running and turning techniques can conserve energy for the final stages of the test. Set your own consistent pace and ignore the runners around you. Run with your shoulders relaxed and breathe deeply and smoothly.
- MINIMIZE DISTANCE COVERED: Don't run further than you need to; as you come in to the turn, time it so that only one foot just touches the line (you don't have to go over the line), and turn sharply and not following a wide arc.
- FOCUS: Focus on something else, such as your breathing, instead of the pain.
- SET GOALS: Set achievable goals along the way. Achieving even an easy goal instigates a positive state of mind that will in turn encourage you to keep going.
- IMAGINE SUCCESS: At every turn imagine yourself getting to the next line before the sound of the beep. This mental imagery technique enhances confidence and determination.
- GET FITTER: Finally, there is no avoiding this 'tip', the only sure way to make significant improvements in the beep test is to train well to improve your aerobic fitness.
Resources to help implement these tips
- A discussion about maximizing beep test results
- preparing for fitness testing — nutritional and physical preparation.
- training for the beep test
- Purchase beep test training levels audio files of extended sections of the beep test that you can use for training.
- warming up for fitness testing
- training for aerobic fitness
- motivational quotes
- Free download of the beep test mp3
- Test Procedure — Detailed instructions for conducting the beep test. Also video examples.
- Calculating Your Score — calculator to determine your VO2max equivalent score.
- Beep Shuttle Listing — a listing of the number of runs for each level.
BEEP TEST PACKAGE - only $10
The 20m Beep Test (male & female voices) + Training Levels + 'Beeps Only' track + Excel Spreadsheet + eBook Guide (PARQ, consent form, test recording sheet, warm-up, tips, norms + much more!)
The ultimate beep test package, including two versions of the beep test audio file (male and female voice), an audio track with only the beeps (no voices), 8 audio tracks for training at specific test levels, an Excel spreadsheet with an offline calculator and tables for recording, analyzing and presenting results, a 12-page eBook beep test guide which includes a PARQ, informed consent form, and test recording sheet plus much more. All these files are available individually for $5 each, or even better get them all for $10. Check out the details.