This category of beach sports includes all the organized sports of the world that are played on the beach, or at least on a sandy surface, plus others nearby in the surf. Some are just traditional field sports that have been adapted to be played on the sand surface of the beach, while others have developed independently as suited for the beach environment.
Beach Team Sports
- Beach Basketball — a version of basketball played on sand with two teams of three players.
- Beach Handball — a variation of Team Handball, played on sand instead of indoors. This sport is sometimes called Sandball.
- Beach Netball — netball played in the sand on a half court.
- Beach Rugby — a version of rugby played on the sand.
- Beach Soccer — similar to association football but played on a beach or sand.
Beach Net Sports
- Beach Tennis — a sport which has elements from tennis and volleyball, and played on the beach.
- Matkot — a beach paddle sport from Israel that is very similar to beach tennis.
- Beach Volleyball— A version of Volleyball played on and with teams of two players, in which a ball is hit by hand over a high net, the aim being to score points by making the ball reach the ground on the opponent's side of the court.
- Footvolley — like beach volleyball though you can only use your feet.
Other Beach Sports
- Beach Golf — a simplified version of golf played on sand with a polyurethane foam ball.
- Beach Woodball — a version of Woodball played on sand that involves using a mallet to pass a ball through gates.
- Beach Wrestling — a standing up position style of wrestling conducted on beach sand.
- Beach Sambo — a modified version of sambo played on the sand, with bouts lasting three minutes, without penalties and mat wrestling.
- Sandboarding — involves sliding on the sand while standing on a board.
- Matkot / Frescobol — a beach paddle sport similar to beach tennis, played in Israel and Brazil.
Sports Played in the Surf
- Surfing — participants stand on a surfboard, and use the waves for propulsion.
- Surf Kayaking — involves surfing in the ocean using a kayak.
- Surfboat Rowing — a team of riders compete using surfboats on a course out and back through the surf.
- Beach Sprint Rowing — short rowing race in the open water also involving a beach sprint.
- Surf Lifesaving — competitions consist of performing various tasks performed by lifeguards on the beach.
- Kitesurfing — a board and kite are used on the water utilizing different styles consisting of freeride, speed, down winders and racing.
- Open Water Swimming — competitive swimming races conducted over various distances (10km at the Olympics) held in rivers, lakes and oceans.
- Beach Water Polo — an open water version of water polo played on a smaller field with four players per team.
- World Beach Games — the first event was held in Doha Qatar in 2019. This major event includes a mix of sports traditionally played on sand and others which take place on the water.
- About the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup
- About the Asian Beach Games and other Beach Games multi-events.
- About the Nude Beach Olympics (unusual sports)
- Rules of Beach Cricket
- The new sport of Rebound Beach Volleyball
- List of All Sports