Beach basketball is a type of basketball that is played at the beach. The rules are similar to regular basketball, though players do not bounce the ball due the difficulty doing so on the sand surface. The players can take 2.5 steps while carrying the ball, and move the ball by throwing.
In this version of basketball, two teams play with three players each, and there are other two players allowed for substitution. The court is composed of sand, which should be around 12 to 15 meters. Just like regular basketball, there should be two opposing baskets and backboards. The players should play barefeet.
A beach basketball game is around 10 minutes, with 5 minutes each half and a halftime in between. At half time, the teams change courts.
In beach basketball, if the ball falls to the ground or the sand, the player who can get it first may take the ball and can continue unhindered. If the game ends with a draw, there is a shoot-out. Each player can take a free throw.
There has been more than fifteen World Championships organized for beach basketball.
- 3x3 Basketball — a variation of basketball played on a half-court with just three players on each team.
- Basketball — players attempt to shoot the ball through the hoop on the opponent’s court, moving the ball by throwing and dribbling.
- Water Basketball — a mix of basketball and water polo played in a swimming pool with basketball goals.
- Beach Netball — played in the sand on a half court.
- About Beach Sports
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports