Beach Tennis is sport which has elements from tennis and volleyball, and is played on the beach. There are two forms of beach tennis, Beach Tennis USA and Beach Tennis with a paddle racket.
Beach tennis USA is similar to beach volleyball but played with a tennis ball and a racket. The rules are the combination of tennis and volleyball. If the ball hits the sand, this results in a point. The scoring is the same that of tennis, 15 – 30 – 40, and no-ad at deuce.
For beach tennis USA events, the format depends on the number of entrants and number of courts available, and also the time available. Usually, the preliminary rounds are pool-play. Pool play means, there is a pool of four, one will play the other three teams in the pool. The top teams will advance to the next pool.
A sport similar to beach tennis with a solid paddle racket but no net is played in other countries, which is sometimes called beach paddle ball, and in Israel it's called matkot, in brazil it is frescobol.
- Lawn Tennis — a court sport using a stringed racket to hit a ball over a net.
- Matkot — a paddle sport from Israel that is very similar to beach tennis.
- Soft Tennis — a version of the game of tennis played primarily in Asia, very similar except they play with soft balls.
- Road Tennis — a version of tennis played on a smaller court with paddles and a low wooden net.
- Beach Volleyball — a version of volleyball played on sand and with teams of two players, in which a ball is hit by hand over a high net, the aim being to score points by making the ball reach the ground on the opponent's side of the court.
- Paddle Tennis — a variation of tennis on a smaller court, lower net, using a solid paddle and ball.
- About Beach Sports
- List of Racket Sports
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports