Beach volleyball is a variation of volleyball, but played on the beach or sand. Just like volleyball, the aim of the game is to send the ball over the net and ground it on the opposing team’s court.
Two teams play, but unlike volleyball with six players per team, the team in beach volleyball can only field two players. No substitutions are allowed in beach volleyball.
The dimensions of a beach volleyball court are smaller (16 x 8 meters) than the normal volleyball court (18 x 9 meters). Unlike volleyball, beach volleyball has no attack line. The match is best of 3 sets played to 21, 15 for deciding a set.
The players can switch sides whenever they want; there are no rotation errors for beach volleyball. It is also legal to go under the net as long as it will not interfere the opposing team. The teams switch courts when they reach seven points.
Beach volleyball has been a part of the Olympics since the 1990’s.
- Indoor Beach Volleyball — a newer variation of beach volleyball, with 2 to 6 players per team.
- Snow Volleyball — a variation of beach volleyball in which the games are played in the snow.
- Volleyball — a game for two teams of six players, in which a large ball is hit by hand over a high net, the aim being to score points by making the ball reach the ground on the opponent's side of the court.
- Crossnet — a cross between volleyball and 4-square, played with a four-way net.
- Footvolley — beach volleyball played with the feet
- Sitting Volleyball — a version of volleyball for disabled athletes played while sitting (also known as Paralympic volleyball).
- Water Volleyball — a team sport derived from volleyball in which the games are played in water.
- Beach Tennis — a sport which has elements from tennis and volleyball, played on the beach.
- Beach Volleyball at the Olympic Games
- Beach Volleyball at the Comonwealth Games
- Discussion of Volleyball-Type Sports
- The new sport of Rebound Beach Volleyball
- Exercise training at the beach
- About Beach Sports
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports