Beach rugby is a variation of rugby union, but played on sand. There are no specific rules for this sport unlike Beach Soccer and beach volleyball. There are leagues around Europe for this game, but rules depend on the league.
Beach rugby is particularly popular in Italy. The size of the field depends on the league, but it is usually around 30 to 50 meters long, and 20 to 35 meters wide. Beach rugby is played by two teams, with either 4 or 7 players in each team (depending on the league).
A standard rugby ball is used for beach rugby, though most leagues use the size 4 ball instead of size 5. Many of the beach rugby leagues use the “one try, one point” scoring system.
Most of the time, a “sudden-death extra time” period is used for tied matches. Beach rugby matches usually lasts around 10 to 14 minutes, with 5 or 7 minutes halves.
- Snow Rugby — rugby union matches played on fields covered with snow.
- Rugby Union — played on a grass field by two opposing teams with two H-shaped goalposts at opposite sides.
- Beach Soccer — association football matches played on a beach or sand
- Beach Handball — a variation of Team Handball, played on sand instead of indoors. This sport is sometimes called Sandball.
- Beach Volleyball — a version of volleyball played on sand with teams of two players.
- About Beach Sports
- About Rugby Union
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports