What is Aerobic Endurance?
Sports Definition: cardiovascular endurance, aerobic fitness, or stamina, is the ability to exercise continuously for extended periods without tiring.
A person's aerobic fitness level is dependent upon the amount of oxygen which can be transported by the body to the working muscles via the lungs and blood system, and the efficiency of the muscles to use that oxygen. Aerobic fitness is an important component of many sporting activities (see what is aerobic fitness).
Who Needs Endurance?
Aerobic Endurance is one of the main fitness components, important for success in many sports. Certain sports, such as distance running and triathlon, it is the most important physical attribute. In many other sports, including football codes, good endurance is also very important as part of the overall fitness profile. A vote of the top sports requiring endurance has the obvious ones of track and field distance runners, road cyclists and longer distance swimmers in the top three. See also another list ranking sports in which endurance is important.
Training the Aerobic Energy System
There are many ways of training and improving your aerobic energy system. Running and cycling are some of the main exercise modes used for aerobic exercise. Other exercise modes commonly used for endurance training include swimming, a gym circuit, aerobic classes, or just playing sport.
We have a poll about just this question. What mode of exercise do you use for aerobic endurance training? The most common answer is not surprisingly running, with cycling and playing sport the next most popular exercise modes. In many respects, the exercise mode is not that important, it is more important to exercise at the right intensity for long enough. See our guide to setting target training zones for endurance training.
Here are some articles about several different ways to improve your aerobic fitness.
- Cardio Tips — tips for keeping your aerobic exercise workouts interesting and effective.
- Running for Fitness — running training is one of the best ways to improve endurance.
- Walking for Fitness — a guide to beginning a walking for fitness program with examples.
- Interval Training — a discussion on the benefits of interval training programs.
- High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) — a form of cardiovascular exercise that alternates between periods of high-intensity exercise and periods of lower-intensity exercise or rest
- Hypoxic Training — training at altitude or simulated altitude to improved oxygen delivery during exercise.
- Training to Improve your Beep Test — information and a sample program to improve your fitness for the beep test. See other aerobic fitness tests too.
- Running Calorie Counter
- Breathing During Exercise
- Limitations to Exercise
- Poll: What mode of exercise do you use for aerobic endurance training?
- What are the highest ranking endurance sports?
- Aerobic Fitness Tests — a large range of fitness tests of endurance, as well as VO2max charts.