Running for Fitness
Running is one of the best ways to get into shape and to stay in great condition, because it is an exercise you can do in your own time, at your own pace, and without a lot of fancy equipment.
There's just something about running that is exhilarating and liberating. Best of all, it doesn't really cost anything to do (except buy a decent pair of runners). Running is by far the cheapest and easiest way to burn calories, improve your overall health, all with basically no equipment whatsoever. The best part about it is that you can do it anywhere. No matter where you are, you can always find a place to run.
If you haven’t run in a while, make sure you build up to the big runs. You need to get the body and the muscles properly prepared to take on any sort of distance running. Start by just working on short intervals around a grassy oval, like running for 3 minutes, walking for 1 minute, etc. then, build up from there to increasingly longer distances. As well as gradually building up your workload, on each run you should be mindful not to go out too fast. The tendency is to start out too fast because you have a lot of energy and then burn out fast. Slow and steady really does win the race.
Running for Fitness Articles
- How to start a running program — a guide to an effective way to start a running or jogging program.
- Equipment to Start Running — what you need to begin a running program for fitness.
- Tips For Running At All Times of the Year — making running your primary mode of exercise can prove to be a bit problematic because it puts your fitness at the mercy of the elements. Here are some tips to make the most of your running program at any time of year.
- Run for a Reason - Charitable Exercise
- Running Calorie Counter
- About Barefoot Running
- Running while you travel - tips to keep fit running while on the road.
- List of running sports
- Get a head start with the right training shoe
- All about Aerobic Endurance Fitness
- Want to play a good aerobic sport? See what are the highest ranking endurance sports.