Tests of Cardiovascular Endurance
Here is a collection of maximal and sub-maximal aerobic fitness tests. Which one to use? There is more information about Aerobic Fitness Testing.
Maximal Aerobic Tests
Continuous tests to exhaustion
- Multistage Shuttle Run Test (see also the similar Aero Test, and PACER test. Also called the beep, bleep test etc. - see variations)
- Yo-Yo endurance tests - a beep type test with rest periods developed for intermittent sports.
- Maximal Oxygen Consumption Test (VO2max)
- Vmax - simplified version of the VO2max test.
- Bruce Protocol Test
- Balke Treadmill Test
- University of Montreal Track Test - the original beep test.
- Birtwell 40 meter Shuttle Run
Intermittent Tests (more about Testing Intermittent Sports)
- Yo-Yo intermittent tests
- J.A.M. intermittent test
- 30-15 Intermittent Fitness Test (Interval Shuttle Run Test)
- Gacon Test (Running 45"/15")
- Soccer FIT Interval Test
- FIFA Interval Test 2
Walking / Running Tests (more about walk and run tests)
- Run tests for set time or distance (General)
- 20m Run (Miller) - set time
- Endurance Run / Walk (1 mile)
- Half Mile Walk
- Andersen Test
- 1 km (1000m) Run (IPFT)
- 1 mile Rockport Walk Test
- 1 Mile Walk Test
- 1.6 km (1 mile) Run
- 1.5 Mile Run (PRT)
- 2 km Walk Test
- 2.4 km run test
- 2 Mile Run (APFT)
- 3 Mile Run (PFT)
- 3 km Run
- 5 km Run
- 6 minute run
- 6 minute walk test
- 12 minute Cooper test
- 15 minute Balke test
Sport or Group Specific
- 10m Beep Test, designed for children with cerebral palsy (CP).
- 10m Incremental Shuttle Walk Test for people with COPD.
- 2 km Rowing Ergometer Test, 5km Rowing Ergo Test
- Shuttle Swim Test - for water polo players.
- Swimming Beep Test
- Critical Swim Speed Test
- Swimming Step Test
- 1 km Swim time trial for triathletes.
- 450 yd / 500m swimming test or the Elliptical Trainer Test - an alternative to the 1.5 mile run (Navy PRT)
- A Multistage Field Test (MFT) for wheelchair users.
- 12 minute Wheelchair Aerobic Test
- Ice Hockey beep test
- Water Polo Intermittent Shuttle Test
- J.A.M. intermittent test a test based on the intensities of a game of Rugby Union.
- Loughborough Intermittent Shuttle Test for soccer players.
- FIFA Interval Test 2 for soccer referees.
- Modified Beep Test for Rugby League referees.
New (unvalidated) Tests
- Lucas 12 test, a modification of the original Cooper test to include running, rowing and cycling modes.
Step Tests (see general Step Test procedures)
- Harvard Step Test
- Queens College Step Test
- YMCA 3-Minute Step Test
- A simple step test that can be done at home
- The Canadian Home Fitness Test (CHFT)
- Balke Step Test
- Chester Step Test
- Sharkey (Forestry) Step Test
- Step in Place Test
Non Exercise Aerobic Fitness Tests
- Polar Fitness Test - based on heart rate variation.
- Non-Exercise Fitness Test - VO2max using regression equations.