1 Mile Endurance Run / Walk Test
This test describes the procedures as used in the President's Challenge Fitness Awards and FitnessGram Program. Many other variations of running and walking tests are described elsewhere on this website.
- purpose: this test measures aerobic endurance, as a measure of health and an important component of many sporting activities.
- equipment required: stopwatch, smooth and level marked 1 mile track, paper and pencil.
- description: The purpose of this test is to complete one mile in the fastest possible time. After the purpose of the test and instructions are given, the participants begin running on the count "Ready? Go!". If they desire, walking may be interspersed with running, however, they should be encouraged to cover the distance in as short a time as possible.
- variations / modifications: for younger children a shorter test can be performed, using the same procedures: 1/4 mile for 6-7 years old, and 1/2 mile for 8-9 years old.
- scoring: Note the time, in minutes and seconds, it took to complete the mile. These results can be compared to published norms for similar age groups.
- advantages: minimal equipment and costs are involved, and if required the test can be self-administered.
- disadvantages: the accuracy of this test depends on your pacing ability and level of motivation.
- As good pacing is important to maximize their score in this test, you can help the participants learn proper pacing for the mile by conducting a trial test in the week before the actual test so that they can get a feel for the required effort, or have them run at the mile pace for short distances during warm-up time.
- The procedures listed above may differ slightly from the official description as used for the President's Challenge or FitnessGram. Please refer to documents from these sources for exact protocols.
- President's Challenge Fitness Awards and FitnessGram Program.
- A 1 mile walk/run test is also used for the Connecticut Physical Fitness Test.
- See the comparison page for a overview of all of the walk and run fitness tests.
Some other specific walking / running endurance tests (there's more):
- General Walk / Run test
- 1 km Run Test
- APFT 2 Mile Run Test
- Marine PFT 3-Mile Run
- Cooper 12 minute test
- Walk tests: Rockport Walk Test, 2 km Walk Test, Walk Test (1 mile)