Rockport Walk Test
The Rockport is a common aerobic fitness test for those of low fitness level. There is a very similar 1 mile walk test used for the FitnessGram program. See the comparison page for a overview of many walk and run tests.
- equipment required: stopwatch, smooth and level marked 1 mile track, paper and pencil, heart rate monitor (optional), bodyweight scales.
- procedure: The purpose of this test is to walk as fast as possible for 1 mile. After you have completed the mile, immediately take your pulse rate. If you do not have a heart rate monitor, you can manually count the number of beats for 10 seconds, and then multiply that by 6 to get your minute heart rate. Note the time it took to complete the mile. You will also need to know your body weight for the VO2max calculation.
- scoring: A VO2max score can be calculated
using the following equation (Kilne et al., 1987 and McSwegin et al., 1998):
females: VO2 = 139.168 - (0.388 x age) - (0.077 x weight in lb.) - (3.265 x walk time in minutes) - (0.156 x heart rate).
males: add 6.318 to the equation for females above.
- target population: This test is suitable for both males and females of poor fitness who would not be able to complete a similar distance run test. The test is suitable for people of all ages, from the very young to the elderly.
- advantages: minimal equipment and costs are required, and the test can be self-administered.
- disadvantages: This test is too easy for highly fit people. Also, since you must walk as fast as possible, the accuracy of this test depends on your pacing ability and level of motivation.
- Kline G, Porcari J, Hintermeister R, Freedson P, Ward A, McCarron R, Ross J, Rippe J. Estimation of vo2max from a 1-mile track walk, gender, age, and body weight. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1987;19:253-59.
- McSwegin P, Plowman S, Wolff G, Guttenberg G. The validity of a one-mile walk test for high school age individuals. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science 1998;2:47-63.
- more information about measuring heart rate
Other specific walking / running endurance tests:
- General Walk / Run test
- see the similar FitnessGram 1 mile walk test
- Endurance Run / Walk (1 mile)
- Cooper 12 minute test
- 2 km Walk Test