1000 meter Run Test
The 1 km run test is one of the fitness tests used in the International Physical Fitness Test battery. The distance used is actually less than 1 km for girls and young boys.
- purpose: This test measures aerobic fitness in the young or those of low fitness level.
- equipment required: oval or running track, stopwatch.
- distance run: 1 km for boys 14-19 years old, 800 meters for girls 14-19 years old, and 600 meters for boys and girls 13 years old and under.
- procedure: The aim of this test is to complete the required distance in the fastest possible time. On the signal, "ready," all participants line up behind the starting line. On the command ‘Go!’ the clock will start, and they will begin running at their own pace. Cheering or calling out the elapsed time is also permitted to encourage the participants. Walking is permitted but not encouraged.
- scoring: The total time taken to complete the distance is recorded, in minutes and seconds.
- reliability: the reliability of this test would depend on practice and pacing strategies, and motivation level. There should be good reliability if these issues are addressed.
- advantages: groups of up to 30 can be tested at once, and it is a very cheap and simple test to perform with minimal equipment.
- disadvantages: practice and pacing is required to maximize the subject performance, and also the test results can be affected greatly by motivation.
- comments: for older athletes, and those of high fitness level, a running test of longer distance would be more appropriate, to truly test the aerobic energy system. If you are testing a large group, more control at the finish line can be achieved by making a finishing chute by tying ropes between high jump standards. The timekeeper stands at the finish line, and calls out the time as the runners cross the finish line.
- other walk/run tests, and see the comparison page for a overview of the walk and run tests.
- 800 m anaerobic run test
- about the International Physical Fitness Test
Other specific walking / running endurance tests:
- General Walk / Run test
- 1 Mile Run Test
- APFT 2 Mile Run Test
- Marine PFT 3-Mile Run
- Cooper 12 minute test
- Walk tests: Rockport Walk Test, 2 km Walk Test