P90x Fitness Testing Battery
What is P90x?
P90X is a revolutionary system of 12 fitness home workouts which claim to transform your body from regular to ripped in just 90 days. If you don't have the kit already, see information about purchasing the P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout Program (which includes 13 DVDs, a Nutrition Guide and Exercise Planner).
The P90x Fit Test
In addition to the workout program, the P90X has a fitness test that they ask you to complete a few days before you embark on day 1 of the program (and also on completion of 90 day program). The fitness test is used so you can chart your progress, and also to make ensure you are able to complete a P90X Workout. The P90X Fit Test takes approximately 40 minutes to complete, and all tests should be completed in the order listed below. As you will be required to repeat the Fit Test when you complete the P90X, it is important that you are able to do it the same way, in the same order.
- Heart Rate Monitor
- Body Fat Caliper
- Tape Measure
- Body Weight Scale
- Pull-Up Bar (securely installed)
- Timer (stopwatch or watch with second hand)
Fitness Test List
The P90X fitness test consists of the following tests. The links provided are to the standard test procedures as listed on this site - the actual procedures used for the P90x may differ slightly. The full details required to conduct the test is included in the p90x package. You can also see a video of many of these tests being performed in a P90x initial test.
- Body size measurements: body fat%, weight, chest / waist / hip measurements.
- Resting Heart Rate — taken after a few minutes rest
- Pull-Ups — do the maximum number of pull up to failure. P90X suggest that you should be able to do at least 3 pull-ups if male, 1 pull-up if female.
- Vertical Leap — a vertical jump off a single step. P90X suggest that you should have a vertical leap of at least 5 inches if male, 3 inches if female.
- Push-Ups — maximum number, females may do it off their knees. P90X suggest that you should be able to do at least 15 if male, 3 if female (or 15 push-ups off your knees).
- Toe Touch — this is the traditional sit and reach test. P90X suggest that your reach should be no less than 6 inches from your toes.
- Wall squats — sit and hold the 'chair' position against a wall for as long as possible. P90X suggest that you should be able to hold the wall squat for at least 1 minute.
- Bicep Curls — a test of the maximum number of bicep curls that can be performed at a set weight. P90X suggest that you should be able to do at least 10 curls with 20 lbs. if male and at least 10 curls with 8 lbs. if female.
- In and Outs — record the total number of ins and outs performed - you should be able to do at least 25.
- Heart Rate Maximizer — measuring your heart rate response to a jumping jacks exercise. P90X suggest that you should be able to finish the 2 minutes of jumping jacks.
- Video of many of these tests being performed in a P90x initial test.
- F45 playoffs — an 10 minute fitness test from F45: 10 stations, 45 seconds work per station, 15 secs rest.
- Fitness Testing for Specific Populations
- A Home Fitness Workout
- Fitness Test at Home