The one step vertical jump test is a variation of the standing vertical jump, often used for testing basketball players. The vertical jump test with one step up is used for testing the USA women's soccer team. It is best conducted using the Vertec® equipment.
equipment required: Vertec® or similar.
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. Perform an appropriate warm-up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: Record the standing height by standing below the apparatus with both feet flat on the ground, and stretching up one arm and reaching as high as possible. The subject then places one foot back, rocking is allowed, before bringing the back foot back next to the other, and leaping vertically off both legs as high as possible (the technique is similar to the jump to start a basketball game). The arms may be used to assist in projecting the body upwards. Attempt to time the swing of the arm to mark at the highest point of the jump. The difference in distance between the standing reach height and the jump height reached is the score. The best of three attempts is recorded.
scoring: The jump height is recorded as a distance score, the height reached above standing height. It is also possible to convert jump height into a power or work score.
target population: basketball, soccer/football
- Technique plays a part in maximizing your score, as the subject must time the jump so that the marker is reached at the peak of the jump, and the jump height can be affected by the effective use of the arms.
- The Vertec® equipment is expensive, especially relative to the chalk and wall vertical jump method.
- Athletes may 'cheat' by not reaching up fully when measuring the standing height, thus inflating their jump score.
The Test in Action
- The vertical jump test with one step up is used for testing the USA women's soccer team.
- Similar test with a run up taking off one or two feet.
- Procedure for Vertical Jump Testing using the Vertec® or just a wall, and for Vertical Jump Testing using a timing mat. Also see about testing Vertical Jump at home.
- Details of testing for the USA women's soccer team
- Vertical Jump Demonstration Videos
- About vertical jump techniques
- A discussion about the various vertical jump equipment available
- Apparatus for sale in the vertical jump store
- See the list of anaerobic tests for other fitness tests of leg power.