Walking Dos and Don'ts
Although walking is simple and easy, you still need to remember a few basic “dos” and “don’ts.” Life’s short, so be smart and safe. Here are some walking dos and don'ts of walking.
- Don’t walk after dark.
- Don’t walk in high-crime areas.
- Don’t walk on the road or highway.
- Don’t walk in sparsely populated areas.
- Do your research about appropriate routes to follow.
- Do tell someone where you plan to walk and when you are expected back.
- Do use the buddy system if you are walking early in the morning or at dusk.
- Do carry identification, emergency contact information, several dollars, and preferably your cell phone.
- Do wear reflective clothing if walking early in the morning or at dusk.
- Do dress in layers for cold weather, including a hat.
- Do stay hydrated. Always carry water with you, especially if it is hot.
- Do spend the first five minutes of your walk warming up, before kicking it into full gear.
- Do cool down by stretching. Key areas to stretch are hip flexors, hamstrings, and the calves.
- Walking for Fitness Tips
- Why Walk? - many great reasons to go walking.
- Stretch Before and After You Walk — a few stretches suitable for your warm-up before you start your walk.
- Walking for Fitness
- All about Aerobic Endurance Fitness
- Aerobic fitness workouts
- Walking Fitness Tests