The star jump is a simple bodyweight aerobic exercise, involving jumping on the spot while coordinating the swinging of the arms and legs. There is also a similar exercise called the jumping jack.
Equipment Required: none
- Start in a crouching position, hands by your ankles.
- Leap into the air, simultaneously throwing your arms and legs out to sort of a star position.
- As you come back to the ground, return the hands and feet to the starting position.
- Repeat these actions without rest for a certain time period.
Key points to remember
- Use a nice fluid motion
- An easier 'star jump' is to land with the feet apart and arms out, rather than back to the starting position.
- Increase the intensity by jumping higher and/or increasing the tempo
- There is also a similar exercise called the jumping jack.