Lunge with Overhead Dumbbell Press
Combine any type of lunge, standing, walking, backwards, with a dumbbell overhead press to simultaneously target quads, glutes, hamstrings, deltoids and triceps. These work equally well with an arm curl. This is an example of combining exercises to reduce workout time.
Equipment Required: a pair of dumbbells
- Start in a lunge position, dumbbell weights in your hands at shoulder height.
- Drop your back knee down to the floor and then push up with your legs while simultaneously pushing up with your arms.
- bring the weight back down to shoulder height before performing the action again.
Key points to remember
- Keep the abdominals tight and the lower back in a neutral position.
- Maintain the body in an upright position and avoid leaning forward.
- Keep your front knee over your ankle to avoid stressing your knee.
- Drop your back knee as far down as you can, to maximize your range of motion.
- You can hold a resistance band in your hands while doing the lunge, with it anchored under your back foot.
- Forward lunge with dumbbells
- See also the dumbbell reverse lunge
- A similar exercise is the (forward) lunge.
- All about the Lunge Exercise
- More Dumbbell Exercises
- Free weights for sale in the fitness store
- See Exercises at home - the lunge
- Lunges at the beach