Equipment Required: None, or buckets for an alternative.
- Start in a standing position, with your hands on your hips
- Step forward with one leg and lower your body so that there is a 90 degree angle at both knees.
- Keep your weight on your front heel and be careful not to push your knee ahead of your foot.
- Pull your body up over the front foot and step forward for the next lunge.
- Repeat this action for about 6 lunges per set.
Key points to remember
- Warm up before any exercise program. At the beach, a run and some stretches is a good way to start.
- Don’t step out too far, try to bend your forward leg to a 90 degree angle with each step
- If it is sunny, don't forget to cover yourself up with a hat or some sunscreen. If it is hot, be sure to drink lots of water to stay well hydrated.
- You can increase the intensity of this exercise by using buckets or jugs, and filling them up with sand to make some dumbbells.
- Shorter steps, and not dipping as far into the lunge will decrease the difficulty of this exercise.
- See Exercises at home - the lunge
- Dumbbell Exercises: reverse lunge
- Gym Exercises: lunge
- More fitness at the beach