The best part about running for fitness exercise it is that you can do it anywhere. No matter where you travel, you can always find a place to run.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when running while you travel:
- Stay Hydrated: wherever you are in the world, it is always a good idea to start your run well-hydrated, and keep the fluids coming especially if you are in a hot climate. Some foreign countries may not have potable tap water, so make sure you have plenty of bottled water on hand.
- Take some cash: It’s always a good idea to carry a bit of spare currency on you in case you injure yourself or run into inclement weather and need to make a call, catch a taxi or even get some food or drinks.
- Look left and right: Make sure you are always be aware of the traffic around you. Be aware that in other countries drivers are on the other side of the road, and may not even give way to pedestrians.
- Don't get lost: when running in unfamiliar surrounding, it can be easy to get lost. It might be a good idea to take your phone with GPS with you, or at least carry a map.
- Tell someone where you are going: If you are traveling alone and staying in a hotel, let someone at the hotel know where you are running to (after asking them about the area), when you expect to be back and give them your emergency contact information.
- Turn down the volume: If you are listening to music while you run, make sure the volume is not up too loud. Being able to hear outside noises is important for your safety.
Remember, when running in unfamiliar places, always use common sense and good judgment, and you're bound to enjoy your run and keep up your fitness when you are on the road.
- Running Training
- Holiday Fitness Ideas — ideas to help maintain your fitness during the holdiay season and when you are travelling away from home.
- Travel Nutrition for Athletes
- Run for a Reason - Charitable Exercise
- Ultra marathon running events around the world
- Summertime Fitness — exercise on the go when away from home