What is Muscle Power?
Sports Definition: the ability to exert a maximal force in as short a time as possible, as in accelerating, jumping and throwing implements.
While strength is the maximal force you can apply against a load, power is proportional to the speed at which you can apply this maximal force. Training to improve power can include lifting weights, throwing implements such as medicine balls, running against a resistance, and plyometrics (depth jumping and bounding).
Who Needs Power?
Muscle Power is one of the main fitness components, important for success in many sports. Certain sports, such as weightlifting, boxing and weight throwing, it is one of the most important physical attributes. In many other sports, including football, good power is also very important as part of the overall fitness profile. A vote of the top sports requiring power has the obvious sport of Olympic weight lifting on top. See also another list ranking sports in which speed and power is important.
Muscle Power and Fitness Information
- Power Tests — a list of fitness tests of power
- Fitness Tests of Power using medicine and powerballs
- Punch hitting power test of upper body strength
- Medicine Balls for Sale — used in fitness power training
- Improve your vertical jump — see these workout programs for sale.