Speed & Power Testing
Power, speed and sprint recovery are important fitness components for many sports. There are numerous fitness tests for power and speed - see our complete list of speed and power fitness tests. You may also be interested in the related fitness component of strength.
Explosive Power is the ability to exert a maximal force in as short a time as possible, as in jumping and throwing implements. Speed is the ability to reproduce these explosive movements one after the other with minimal fatigue. Another related fitness component in sports is the sprint recorvery, the ability continually produce short bursts of high intensity work, often with short periods for recovery time. Some repeat sprint tests are listed below. See also the information about Testing for Intermittent Sports.
These are tests of the anaerobic energy system. Each short burst of high intensity exercise depletes the stores of creatine phosphate and utilizes anaerobic glycolysis in which lactic acid is produced. The efficient removal of lactic acid is required to limit muscle fatigue.
- List of Speed and Power fitness tests
- Information about Testing for Intermittent Sports
- Calculating power from sprint scores and vertical jumping
- Strengh index - dynamic and reactive
- List of Strength Tests
- List of Tests using Medicine Balls
- Training for Strength and Power
- All Fitness Tests List
- What are the highest ranking sports requiring speed and power?