Which sports are rated highest for the fitness component of speed? This top-10 list is based on the ratings of the factors of success considered most important by visitors to this website. There are many interpretations of speed - the speed of the game (ice hockey), movement speed (fencing, clay target shooting), and running speed (tennis, rugby). In any case, the athletes need fast twitch muscle fibers to compete in these sports.
Badminton and tennis are considered the top speed sports based on our online ratings. The ratings are still being recorded (this list is from December 2019), so the list order may change over time. Although over 50 of the world's major sports have been analyzed, there may be others that were not included and could also be ranked highly too.
- Sports ranked by other factors of success
- Sporting components of athleticism
- A discussion about the Components of Fitness
- What is the Fittest Sport?
- Sport Specific Fitness
- Sport Specific Fitness Testing
- Sports and Fitness Top-10s
Commenting is generally closed on this page, though you can read some previous comments below which may answer some of your questions.
- Don't know where you get your info from but hurling is one of the fastest games on earth along with ice hockey (Edward, May 2023)
- At elite level, table tennis requires fast twitch muscles to react to a ball crossing the court in less than 0.1 second. ( Fastest tennis ball crosses a tennis court in about 0.34 second) (from John, Nov 2012)
- Speed, power, augmented counter. Half volley table length couner smash would yeld a reaction time less than a conventional control study. Also a full prepared body positioned prepered explosive plyometric tecniniqueal shotproducing enormous energy not only in speed but. 120-140 rpm with no lateral deviation will distort the ball making an olliptical shape forcing energy dynamics to synergize the force of power from the bounce in a catapult like manner accelerating from even closer to the opponent. This if anticipated can be used to generate an even geater speed, power and force by the balls rpm containing these factors giving a respectable speed from the recievers bat by not even moving it. There are so many variables. I have no doubt TABLE TENNIS at the top end needs special tech to break down the time frames we wish to analyze. (from Robin Paterson, Dec 2012)
- For the speed sports section you neglected to include badminton, which certainly ranks higher than tennis in speed. (from phil, May 2011) - updated!