Home | Schedule | Venues | Results | Goal Scorers
The 21st FIFA World Cup was held in Russia in 2018. Other contenders for host country were England and joint bidders Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium. The tournament was won by France, their second tournament win, who beat Croatia 4-2 in the final held in Moscow.
- The group draw was announced on Dec 1, 2017.
- The finals involved 32 national teams. Russia, as hosts, qualified automatically for the tournament. See all qualifiers.
- The tournament was held from 14 June till 15 July, 2018. See the full schedule.
- The final was played in Moscow at the Luzhniki Stadium. See all venues.
World Cup 2018 Trivia
- The Official Mascot for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia was a wolf called Abivaka, the name means "the one who scores" in Russian (see more about World Cup mascots).
- The official match ball for the Russia World Cup was named the "Telstar 18" (see more about World Cup balls).
- This was the first World Cup ever held in Eastern Europe.
- Four out of the top five largest countries (by population) were absent from this tournament. Brazil is the only country out of the top 5 to make it - China, India, the USA and Indonesia all failed to qualify.
- This was the first time video replays were used at the World Cup.
- It can be claimed that the 2018 World Cup was held in both Europe and Asia, as some matches were held in the Russian city of Yekaterinburg, considered to be part of Asia.
- The Colombian team is called the coffee growers (Los Cafeteros), and the Australians are called the Socceroos. See the full list of team nicknames.
- Predictions of which team will win the Russia 2018 Tournament. Spoiler: No one was right.
- History of Russia at the World Cup
- List of all World Cup Host Countries
- Looking for World Cup tickets? It is never easy, or cheap.
- FIFA World Cup Home
- Sport in Russia