PACER Test 15m & 20m Levels and Speeds
The PACER Test is a shuttle-type aerobic fitness test (like the Beep Test), and is part of the FitnessGram and Brockport test battery. There are two versions, the 15m PACER and the 20m PACER tests. Each test has the same speed for each level, though the 15m version requires more shuttles (laps) per level in the one-minute time period.
McClain et al. (2006) list the first speed as 8.5km/hr, however the FitnessGram manual, which does not include the details of each individual level speeds, states that the first level of the 20m version allows 9 seconds to run the distance; the 15m version allows 6.75 seconds. These times equate to a running speed of 8.0 km/hr. This is also confirmed by the timings of the official FitnessGram PACER recording. McClain et al. (2006) list the details up to level 15, though the test goes up to 21 levels. The details of the higher levels were determined from the audio track of the tests.
Comparison of number of laps for 15m and 20m PACER tests
The running speed for each level is the same for the 15m and 20m tests, though the number of laps for each level is greater for the 15m test, so that each level is still approximately one minute in duration. See the 15m PACER table and 20m PACER table with more details for each level, including the cumulative time and distance.
|Level||Running Speed (kph)||15m Test||20m Test|
|laps||total laps||laps||total laps|
- McClain J. J., Welk G. J., Ihmels M., and Schaben J. Comparison of Two Versions of the PACER Aerobic Fitness Test. Journal of Physical Activity & Health, 2006, 3(Suppl. 2), S47-S57
- The Cooper Institute, 2007, FITNESSGRAM / ACTIVITYGRAM Test Administration Manual Fourth Edition (Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics).
- Buy the 20m or 15m PACER test cd — this recording provides pacing for the shuttle run portion of the test as well as cadences for the curl-up and push-up tests.
- Buy the Fitnessgram/Activitygram Test Administration Manual which includes a DVD with video clips and the PACER test cd.
- PACER Test 15m & 20m Conversion
- The 20m PACER Test is part of the FitnessGram and Brockport Test battery.
- Details about the 15m PACER Test
- Buy the 20m or 15m PACER test cd
- Read our guide to variations of the beep / bleep test
- The complete guide to the beep test for comprehensive information about the beep test.
- Maximizing Your Score — to get the most out of the beep test.
BEEP TEST PACKAGE - only $10
The 20m Beep Test (male & female voices) + Training Levels + 'Beeps Only' track + Excel Spreadsheet + eBook Guide (PARQ, consent form, test recording sheet, warm-up, tips, norms + much more!)
The ultimate beep test package, including two versions of the beep test audio file (male and female voice), an audio track with only the beeps (no voices), 8 audio tracks for training at specific test levels, an Excel spreadsheet with an offline calculator and tables for recording, analyzing and presenting results, a 12-page eBook beep test guide which includes a PARQ, informed consent form, and test recording sheet plus much more. All these files are available individually for $5 each, or even better get them all for $10. Check out the details.