When you travel away from home or are out of your usual fitness regime due to the holidays, it is easy to lose focus and subsequently lose fitness. Finding exercise time may require setting some goals and a little planning ahead. Here are some ideas to help maintain your fitness during the holiday season, and still enjoy it too.
Finding Time for Fitness at Home
Even if you’re staying home for the holidays, there are easy ways to take a break from your usual fitness routine and try something new.
- Schedule a joint workout session with a friend. It'll also give you an excuse to escape the family for a few hours!
- Set your alarm for an early morning walk or jog.
- Treat yourself to a yoga or Pilates video that you can stream in your bedroom before everyone else awakens.
- Book a tennis, racquetball, or squash court with a friend.
Getting Active with the Family
Look for creative ways to get the family up and moving.
- Bundle everyone up for a walk after dinner to look at the neighborhood holiday lights and decorations.
- If you live within walking distance of a nice café or restaurant, walk to lunch or dinner.
- Take the kids ice-skating or roller-skating and lace up!
- Schedule a family tennis, basketball, or badminton tournament.
- Depending on the weather, go cross-country skiing or go for a bushwalk.
- Take everyone for nine holes of golf at a par three golf course.
Staying Fit on the Road
Staying with family over the holidays makes it especially challenging to find time (and equipment) for exercise, as well as eat healthily. Plan ahead and be creative.
- Check online for nearby fitness centers. Most usually have day passes available.
- Plot out a walking or running route.
- Bring exercise bands and an “in-room” workout program.
- Plan on early morning exercise, before everyone expects to see you at the breakfast table.
- Summertime Fitness — exercises on the go when away from home in the Summer.
- Holiday Fitness: staying fit and healthy during the holiday season
- Workouts that travel — how to stick with a workout program when away from home.
- Student-Friendly Workout Routines — fun and effective exercise tips for students.
- Exercises at the Beach
- Running While You Travel
- Travel Nutrition for Athletes
- More about travel and fitness