This exercise is part of the home fitness program, fitness you can do at home with minimal equipment.
Equipment Required: a simple step, chair or ledge that is found around the home. Optional: buckets
- Stand just in front of the step, with your feet about shoulder-width apart. You can place your arms down by your sides or on your hips, whichever is more comfortable.
- Step up onto the step with one leg in a steady and controlled motion, pulling yourself up onto the step.
- Pause momentarily with both feet up on the step
- Step down off the step with your opposite foot and then follow with the other foot, returning to the starting position.
- Repeat this action, alternating the leading leg each time.
- Repeat for a total of 10 to 20 times per leg.
Key points to remember
- Keep your body and back as straight as possible throughout the exercise to minimize stress on the lower back and to maximize the effort of the legs.
- Increase the workload by adding weight to your hands, such as a shopping bag with tinned food inside.
- You can also modify the intensity by increasing your pace and finding a step of different height.
- More of fitness at home
- General description of the step-up exercise
- Step up exercises during pregnancy or at the beach
- Step up fitness tests